Emergency need and support services

Emergency need services

Wayne State University offers emergency need services to assist students with their issues or concerns throughout their academic experience. Below is a list of emergency needs services information.

Wayne State Police Department (WSUPD)

If you require emergency assistance or someone is in danger on or around campus, please contact WSUPD at 313-577-2222. WSUPD prides itself on its quick emergency response times.

Counseling and Psychological Services

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides free and confidential mental health assessment, counseling, case management, and referrals to currently-registered Wayne State students, along with consultation and outreach to the Wayne State University community.

CAPS counselors are available Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit the CAPS website for more details or call 313-577-3398.

If you are unable to reach a CAPS staff member and are experiencing an emergency mental health crisis, you can contact one of the following numbers for immediate assistance.

  • CAPS After Hours Crisis Line: 313-577-9982
  • Wayne State University Police Department (WSUPD): 313-577-2222
  • 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline

Student Emergency Grant

Office of Financial Aid | studentservice@wayne.edu | 313-577-2100

The Student Emergency Grant offers limited financial assistance to currently enrolled students who are unable to meet immediate and essential expenses due to unexpected situations/hardships.

Award amount: $50-1,500. The award amount is based on need and available funding.

The W Food Pantry and Thrift Shop

thew@wayne.edu | 313-577-0154

The W Food Pantry provides currently enrolled Wayne State Warriors in need of food assistance with supplemental food and additional resources to enhance student success. The W Thrift Shop is designed to provide gently used garments to any enrolled student free of charge.

Warrior Meal Share Program

The Warrior Meal Share Program supports currently enrolled Wayne State students by providing meal swipes to reduce food insecurities students may face.

Support services

Academic Success Center

Suite 1600, David Adamany Undergraduate Library (UGL) | 313-577-3165

At the Academic Success Center, you can meet one-on-one with a Learning Specialist or attend workshops to help you build skills in areas such as studying, time management, navigating your textbook, concentration, test-preparation, writing a research paper, critical thinking, listening & note taking, strategies for student success, and more. 

Campus Health Center

5285 Anthony Wayne Drive | 313-577-5041

The Campus Health Center provides a wide range of health care services to currently enrolled students including, but not limited to physicals, men's and women's wellness exams, and STI & HIV testing, treatment and counseling.

Counseling and Testing Center - College of Education

306 Education Building | 313-577-1681

The Counseling and Testing Center provides free comprehensive mental health services for students and the local community as part of an advanced graduate educational program in which counselors-in-training serve under licensed professional faculty supervision. The Counseling Center offers both individual and group counseling.

WSU Psychology Clinic

60 Farnsworth Street, Rackham Building | 313-577-2840

The WSU Psychology Clinic serves as the training facility for the Department of Psychology Ph.D. program in Clinical Psychology. The clinic provides affordable psychological assessment and treatment to students, staff and the local community on a sliding-fee scale - No insurance accepted.

Dean of Students Office

301 Student Center Building | 313-577-1010

Students, staff, and faculty may initiate student conduct charges against any student believed to have committed a violation of the Student Code of Conduct by providing information pertinent to the charge via the Non-academic Misconduct Referral Form. Cases of alleged student misconduct are reviewed and adjudicated by the Student Conduct Officer in the Dean of Students Office. Under the WSU Student Code of Conduct, students responsible for violations of the Code are subject to administrative sanctions up to and including expulsion.

Office of Equal Opportunity

4324 Faculty Administration Building | 313-577-2280

The Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) is responsible for the implementation of the University's Non-Discrimination / Affirmative Action Policies, Sexual Harassment Policy and Sexual Assault Policy. The OEO follows the procedures under the Discrimination and Harassment Complaint Process to ensure that employees and students are not discriminated against in employment, educational programs and activities on the basis of race, color, sex (including gender identity), national origin, sexual orientation, familial status, marital status, height, weight, disability or veteran status. Any member of the campus community, including students, staff, and faculty, may file a complaint with the OEO.

University Advising Center

Suite 1600, David Adamany Undergraduate Library (UGL) | 313-577-2680

The University Advising Center can help with defining your educational goals, declaring/changing your major, assisting in getting help in your classes, adding/dropping classes, registering for classes, understanding general education and professional program requirements, etc.

Student Disability Services

Suite 1600, David Adamany Undergraduate Library (UGL) | 313-577-1851

Student Disability Services (SDS) coordinates the provision of reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities which are individualized, flexible and confidential based on the nature of the disability and the academic environment. If you have or believe you may have a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation contact the SDS office to schedule a meeting with a counselor. You may fill out a SDS New Student Registration Request.

Ombuds Services

301 Student Center Building | 313-577-1010

Ombuds Services is part of the Dean of Students Office's Office of Care, Support, and Intervention services. Through the Ask A Question form and the Student Complaint Form, students can seek assistance with questions they have regarding university policies and procedures. Any student who has any WSU concerns is encouraged to contact Ombuds Services and Ombuds Services will help the student connect with the appropriate procedure, resource, office or staff person.